The flu season is upon us and very active. Due to the currently large numbers of school-wide-absences, it is necessary for us to begin tracking the reasons for those absences. When notifying the school of your child’s absence, please indicate the reason. For example:
1. Flu-like illness: Individuals with fever > 100 degrees Fahrenheit who may not have seen a doctor or they had a negative flu test
2. Influenza/Flu: Individuals seen by a clinician and have a confirmed or positive flu test. Please indicate type A or B
3. Other illness such as earache, stomach ache, nausea, etc.
4. Other activity related such as traveling, attending a funeral, etc.
If the reason for the absence is not indicated, you will receive an email or a phone call from the nurse for clarification. This will enable us to track illnesses (especially the flu) in our school. Your prompt response is appreciated.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the reasons to keep your child home from school:
* Oral temperature of 100 degrees F or above
* Vomiting, nausea or severe abdominal pain
* Marked drowsiness or lethargy
* Sore throat, acute cold or persistent cough
* Red, inflamed or discharging eyes
* Skin rashes or eruptions
* Swollen glands around jaws, ears or neck
* Suspected scabies or impetigo
* ANY skin lesion in the weeping stage
* Head lice
* Diarrhea (3 or more episodes of loose stools in 24 hours)
The following are the guidelines for returning to school:
* FEVER FREE FOR 24 HOURS without the aid of fever reducing medication
* FREE of vomiting, nausea, or severe abdominal pain for 24 hours
* FREE of marked drowsiness or lethargy
* FREE of sore throat, acute cold, or persistent cough
* A WRITTEN DOCTOR’S RELEASE for red, inflamed, or discharging eyes
* A WRITTEN DOCTOR’S RELEASE for skin rashes or eruptions
* A WRITTEN DOCTOR’S RELEASE for swollen glands around the jaws, ears, or neck
* A WRITTEN DOCTOR’S RELEASE for suspected scabies or impetigo
* ANY skin lesion in the weeping stage must be COVERED AND DIAGNOSED NONCONTAGIOUS
* SYMPTOM FREE of conditions involving an ear infection
* FREE of all lice or nits - please bring your student to the nurse's office to check for lice or nits prior to sending to class.
* FREE from diarrhea for 24 hours without use of diarrhea suppressing medication.
In addition, we ask that you please help us to improve the health of our school by reminding your student to wash their hands frequently, cover coughs and sneezes, and to NOT share food or beverages. As always, we are here to help your student perform their best. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Michelle Russell, RN and Bette Felder, RN, school nursed, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 817-924-8917.