Every student enrolled in a Catholic School in the State of Texas shall be immunized against vaccine preventable diseases caused by infectious agents in accordance with the immunization schedule adopted by the Texas Department of State Health Services. A student who fails to present the required evidence shall not be accepted for enrollment. The only exception to the foregoing requirement is a medical exemption signed by a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) authorized to practice in the State of Texas, including the physicians license number.
Immunizations are not in conflict with the Catholic faith. Conscientious objections or waivers, which may be permissible for attendance in public schools, do not qualify as an exemption in Catholic Schools in Texas. (Texas Attorney General Opinion: GA-0420)
This policy was adopted by Texas Catholic Conference Education Department, December 2008 and voted on April 3, 2017 to keep as written with no changes by the Bishops of Texas.
Please click here to review the immunization requirements for students in Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
Please click here to review the immunization requirements for students in Preschool.
GUIDELINES FOR EXCLUDING STUDENTS FROM SCHOOL
- Oral temperature of 100° or above
- Vomiting, nausea or severe abdominal pain
- Marked drowsiness or lethargy
- Sore throat, acute cold or persistent cough
- Red, inflamed or discharging eyes
- Wound, skin and soft tissue infections
- Swollen glands around jaws, ears or neck
- Suspected scabies or impetigo
- ANY skin lesion in the weeping stage
- Head lice
- Diarrhea (3 or more episodes of loose stool in a 24 hour period)
- Oral temperature of 100° or above - FEVER FREE FOR 24 HOURS without aid of tylenol/motrin/or other fever reducers
- Vomiting, nausea or severe abdominal pain - SYMPTOM FREE for 24 hours
- Marked drowsiness or lethargy - SYMPTOM FREE
- Sore throat, acute cold or persistent cough - SYMPTOM FREE
- Red, inflamed or discharging eyes - WRITTEN PHYSICIAN RELEASE
- Wound, skin and soft tissue infections - EXCLUDE UNTIL DAMAGE IS CONTAINED AND COVERED WITH A CLEAN DRY BANDAGE
- Swollen glands around jaws, ears or neck - WRITTEN PHYSICIAN RELEASE
- Suspected scabies or impetigo - WRITTEN PHYSICIAN RELEASE
- ANY skin lesion in the weeping stage - COVERED AND DIAGNOSED AS NON-INFECTIOUS
- Earache - SYMPTOM FREE
- Head lice - NO REMAINING LICE OR NITS - Please bring student to the nurse's office to check for lice or nits prior to sending to class.
- Diarrhea - DIARRHEA FREE for 24 hours without the use of diarrhea suppressing medications.
- Essential oils are not allowed on campus/ in the classroom. They are not FDA approved, and could potentially risk allergic reactions for staff, students and visitors.
- Medications must be dispensed by the school nurse, whether over-the-counter or prescribed.
- All medications, ointments, creams, sunscreens, must have a medication permit on file in the nurse's office. It must be renewed each year.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call the school nurse, 817-924-8917