Every student enrolled in a Catholic School in the State of Texas shall be immunized against vaccine preventable diseases caused by infectious agents in accordance with the immunization schedule adopted by the Texas Department of State Health Services. A student who fails to present the required evidence shall not be accepted for enrollment. The only exception to the foregoing requirement is a medical exemption signed by a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) authorized to practice in the State of Texas, including the physicians license number.
Immunizations are not in conflict with the Catholic faith. Conscientious objections or waivers, which may be permissible for attendance in public schools, do not qualify as an exemption in Catholic Schools in Texas. (Atty. Gen. Op. GA-0420)
This policy was adopted by Texas Catholic Conference Education Department, December 2008 and voted on April 3, 2017 to keep as written with no changes by the Bishops of Texas.
Please click here to review the immunization requirements for students in Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
Please click here to review the immunization requirements for students in Preschool.
GUIDELINES FOR EXCLUDING STUDENTS FROM SCHOOL
- Oral temperature of 100° or above
- Vomiting, nausea or severe abdominal pain
- Marked drowsiness or lethargy
- Sore throat, acute cold or persistant cough
- Red, inflamed or discharging eyes
- Skin rashes or eruptions
- Swollen glands around jaws, ears or neck
- Suspected scabies or impetigo
- ANY skin lesion in the weeping stage
- Head lice
- Oral temperature of 100° or above - FEVER FREE FOR 24 HOURS
- Vomiting, nausea or severe abdominal pain - SYMPTOM FREE
- Marked drowsiness or lethargy - SYMPTOM FREE
- Sore throat, acute cold or persistant cough - SYMPTOM FREE
- Red, inflamed or discharging eyes - WRITTEN DOCTOR RELEASE
- Skin rashes or eruptions - WRITTEN DOCTOR RELEASE
- Swollen glands around jaws, ears or neck - WRITTEN DOCTOR RELEASE
- Suspected scabies or impetigo - WRITTEN DOCTOR RELEASE
- ANY skin lesion in the weeping stage - COVERED AND DIAGNOSED AS NON-CONTAGIOUS
- Earache - SYMPTOM FREE
- Head lice - NO REMAINING LICE OR NITS
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call the school nurse, 817-924-8917